Dentistry for children, or Pediatric Dentistry as known today, has developed from the treatment of children's teeth to a speciality with emphasis in behaviour management, systemic diseases and its correlation to oral disease; the focus is in the delivery of preventive care, beginning with the infant and up to late adolescence, including the treatment of handicapped patients in need of special care; modern concepts of pharmacology and patient monitoring are stressed as a mean of coping with behavioural problems.
Services Given by the Department
Emergency and consultation
- The emergency clinic provides relief of pain, and acute oral infections treatment for traumatized teeth and adjacent tissues.
- The clinic operates daily, Sunday to Thursday from 8.00 to 16.00.
- In order to be accepted in the same day, patients should come from 8.00 to 10.00.
- Consultation include routine check-up, follow-up examinations, eruption disorders, soft tissue lesions, gingival and periodontal abnormalities etc.
Dental treatment for infants
Our baby clinic provides dental examination, treatment and counseling to infants and toddlers between the ages of 12-36 months.
At this age we often see dental decay affecting primarily the upper anterior teeth of the infants. The main reasons are frequent bottle feeding at night, during a nap and breast feeding on demand.
Our Baby Clinic provides:
1. Dental pre natal counseling to pregnant woman during their 3rd trimester in order to optimize nutrition.
2. Fluoride treatment in high-risk patients.
3. Counseling on feeding, hygiene and conforting habits
4. Infant and toddlers follow up to prevent ECC.
Dental treatment for children with developmental disabilities
Our clinic provides comprehensive dental treatment for children with developmental disabilities like: mental retardation, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism and other congenital disorders. The treatment includes also tooth cleaning, calculus removal, oral hygiene instructions and rational use of fluoride.
Dental treatment for high risk and medically compromised children.
Children with systemic conditions and special needs such as cancer, bone marrow and other organ transplantation, diabetes or asthma are accepted in this clinic and comprehensive dental care is provided with close cooperation with the child’s physician.
Dental treatment under sedation.
When conventional behavioral management techniques like friendly approach and empathy are not sufficient to be able to communicate with the child, pharmacological approach is required. In order to change the moral and willingness of the child to cooperate, and in order to render the dental treatment, we use several medications like nitrous oxide (“laughing gas”), hydroxizine (atarax), valium, midazolam and others. These medications are given prior or during the dental procedure.
Dental treatment under general anesthesia.
General anesthesia is a last resort in the continuum of managing patients. The basis for its use depends on the patient’s overall needs. Indications for the use of general anesthesia include:
- Significant medical problems.
- Severe sensory, mental or physical dysfunction
- Extremely fearful children, when other management techniques failed.
- Very young children with extensive dental work.
Dental treatment for school children by students.
Dental treatment is given to school-children by senior students. The treatment is carried out under supervision of specialists and is of high quality and at a very reasonable cost. Orthodontic evaluation is an integral part of the treatment planning for the children.
Hadassah Faculty of Dental Medicine
P.O.Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120
Department Telephone +972-2-6776122 , FAX +972-2-6431747